Grilled pound cake is my signature dessert and it's a favorite when locally grown fresh strawberries start hitting local markets. I figured with fall weather finally moving into Blue Raider country that instead of strawberries we needed to try some fresh apples from growers in East Tennessee and the North Georgia Mountains!
Here's what you'll need!
- Apples - choose your favorite. I lean more towards red sweet apples for this dish! The are not my wife Ally's first choice for one of her Apple Pies but they will not cook as long as the green apples she uses in her recipe
- Butter - melted, softened, or spray - not - non-stick spray - but you will need some if grilling on the grates.
- Cinnamon Sugar mix
- Pound cake! - Make your own or drop by the store. Slice that baby up!
- Ice Cream!
- Caramel topping sauce!
Here's What You Do!
- Peel a slice a few apples. The thicker the slice the longer the grilling time. Don't go to thin and don't go to thick! Place them on some foil or in a foil pan with some butter and the cinnamon sugar mix. Lightly cover with foil and place on the grill. Stir every few minutes until they start to soften slightly. You don't want them mushy - just grilled enough to soften but still have nice texture.
- Slice the pound cake, brush both sides with butter, place on the grates, use non-stick spray or oil to prep. Or, use a grilling basket.
- You can also use a griddle top on your grates if you have on.
- Brown the pound cake on both sides!
- Top with apple topping, ice cream, and caramel topping sauce!
- Serve hot!
Yep - That simple and a perfect fall football tailgate dessert dish!
MTSU Radio Network!
Listen for me game days on the pre-game shows hosted by Dick Palmer and Duane Hickey! Then grab your seat for the kick-off! Listen to Chip Walter and Wes Counts call the game on the Blue Raider Radio Network - GoBlueRaiders.com!