Valentine’s Day, Steak, and the flavor of Cocoa! There’s something awesome about combining cocoa and a nice steak. My local meat cutter at our neighborhood Bi-Lo pointed out this recipe, and a few others, to me in one of their printed store flyers. I was in looking for a deal on some ribs – leave it to a meat cutter to up-sell me on some nice steaks! So, if you’re looking for a different twist on a Valentine’s Day grilling session then this might fit the bill!
• 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. packed light brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
• 1 tsp. finely-ground, dark-roast coffee beans
• 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. fine table salt
• 1/4 tsp. ground ancho chile powder
• One 12- to 16-oz. bone-in rib eye steak, about 1 in. thick
• Olive oil, for drizzlin
For the rub:
1.Combine the sugar, cocoa, coffee, pepper, salt and chile powder in a bowl and stir to combine.
For the steak:
2. Preheat a grill. Drizzle the steak with olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the rub and then massage it into the meat. Flip over and repeat on the other side.
3. Grill the steak until a meat thermometer reaches 130 to 140° for medium rare, 6 to 7 min. per side. If you like medium, cook the meat until it reaches 140 to 150°. Rest the meat for 10 min. before slicing and serving.
Recipe and photo via Bi-Lo grocery stores.